Thursday, November 18, 2010

Suffering and Your Perspective

I recently finished reading a book called Broken Things- why we suffer by M. R. DeHaan. I ordered it free of the internet from a Christian website and it's a great book which explains suffering well. Basically DeHaan states that things need to be broken before than can become new again. I found this quote which I feel sums up the whole book;
If you, child of God, are upon a bed of illness, if you are being troubled by pain or discouragement, remember that God will always use our suffering for His purposes. Our suffering silences Satan, our suffering enables us to glorify God, our suffering makes us more like Christ, our suffering makes us appreciative, and, ultimately, our suffering teaches us to depend on God.
We need to interpret out trials with an eternal perspective. DeHaan also outlines 5 ways to change our perspective from one that is selfish and worldly, to one that is of eternity;

  1. Remember God's faithfulness; Hebrews 13:8 Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever
  2. Read the Word; Psalms 1:2 But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night. 
  3. Pray; John 16:24 Until now you have not asked for anything in my name. Ask and you will receive so that your joy may be complete. 
  4. Have faith and hope; 1 Peter 1:21 Through him you believe in God, who raised him from the dead and glorified him, and so your faith and hope are in God.
  5. Praise Him at all times; Psalms 63:3 Because your love is better than life, my lips will glorify you.
So today, in whatever trials you face; I challenge you to change your perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment