At my church we talked about the hypocrisy of some Christians, and how because we are Christians, it does NOT make us perfect, and we do not have the right the judge others, which is really hard I find, because its almost so subconscious that I make judgements of people about how they look, and its so not true!
And that we are saved through faith alone, not by anything that we do.
My favourite verses from it are :
1:6 if we claim to have fellowship with him yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not live by the truth
1:9 if we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us of all unrighteousness
2:15 do not love the world or anything in the world (wow that is so hard- I really like eating and doing my own thing- but everything I should be doing should be for God), if anyone loves the worl, the love of the father is not in him. (eeek)
2:17 the world and its desires pass away but the man who does the will of God lives forever
4:18 there is not fear in love, but perfect love drives out fear (I should only rely on God’s love because it is the only love that is perfect, this is hard though), because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love
5:4 for everyone born of God overcomes the world.... (its hard to remember that Jesus has already won the war for us)

No comments:
Post a Comment